Welcome to the Warwick Rowers Forum. Please note that customer support enquiries, for example regarding individual orders, should be submitted here

PVogt
This question is for the "boys" only.  I hope they read this forum, and see this. I'm not writing this for opinions of the customers though I expect several will throw in their opinion anyway.               Living in the US I recently became aware of a a British TV show called Naked Attraction and I streamlined and watched several episodes. To my surprise they have guys, often the ages of the rowers,  as participants on the show! So my question to the boys is... what's your opinion on nudity in this kind of venue? Would you participate? Do you disagree with it?( As an FYI I'm NOT suggesting the boys participate or that the rowers or sports allies connect with the show - I'm just asking more out of  curiosity ,   what the boys thoughts are about it. )  (On an added note, if the show is any reflection, the men in Britain and are a HECK of a lot more attractive comparatively, than the women!   🙂   
Quote 0 0
Jarod
Not everyone has the repressed, puritanical, attitude to nudity that people in the United States seem to. Just compare "Dating Naked" to the various incarnations of "Adam Seeking Eve", in addition to the above-mentioned "Naked Attraction".
I think your statement about the attractiveness of British men versus British women is rather unfair. If you are a gay man then of course you're going to find the men more attractive. I've watched several episodes of "Naked Attraction" and, whilst preferring the men, have hardly been repulsed by the women. The men who appear on the show also seem to find the women very much to their taste.
Quote 0 1
Keen Follower
PVogt, I know you aren't looking for comments from customers but I just want to say that it's a good question. Don't be put off by the criticisms of the thought police. I wonder if any of the 'boys' will see your question as it's 'buried' under 'Other' and I only saw it because of receiving a Forum Digest email. There's not much evidence of the 'boys' participating in the forum, which is understandable enough as they have other commitments.
Quote 1 0
PVogt
Jarod, I swear man you seemingly have to nitpick and practically create a confrontation with anything anyone posts. I wasn't asking for your thoughts about how puritanical thinking the US is or isn't. I simply asked the boys how they felt about nudity in other settings like the TV show. I realize this is a free forum and we are allowed to say what we want to say but dang fella it just seems you're always coming across as argumentative or proving a point. And I'm certainly not the only one that has noticed that.
Can you not be nice? Maybe you don't intend your notes to come across the way they do but if you don't then I'm letting you know that you come across as a grouchy disagreeable person. But since you dissected my post to the boys I'll respond nicely. Yes the US isn't as nude friendly as some countries are. But that wasn't my point about my post anyway. I'm a part time nudist you might say so your point didn't really go anywhere with me.
Since you questioned my sexuality I would say I'm fluid... some interest in women but lean a good bit more to men. So I stand behind what I said. The girls on that show as a rule.... are not that attractive to me. I didn't say NONE of the girls were attractive. I said collectively, I thought British guys are better looking than British girls IF IF IF that show is any indication. Now please try to understand that when I post something I'm posting my opinion and I'm expressing it in a levelheaded way Jarod. I'm actually one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

To Keen Follower - Thanks for pointing out that it may not be seen by the boys. I was afraid of that and I didn't know what category to list is under other than "other" lol ..
Quote 1 0
Angus_wr
Hi, All

I'm going to jump in here.  I will draw the boys' attention to this threat and hopefully they will be able to answer PVogt's question for themselves.

My own response is that, coincidentally, Lucas and I were talking about Naked Attraction only last weekend.  Everyone on the WR project shares a belief that we need a healthier attitude towards nudity, both male and female.  Our own focus is on the role that male nudity can play in promoting healthier masculinities to reduce homophobia, misogyny and male mental health problems.  

We live in strange times.  Something that is OK today may not be OK tomorrow.  Much of that is good, and in line with the sort of progress we are seeking to support ourselves, but did you see the story of how "Baby It's Cold Outside" got banned by a radio station in the run up to Christmas?  They banned it as a song about rape, when it's actually a song about female sexual empowerment.  So I am grateful for shows like Naked Attraction, because I believe it establishes the legitimacy of what we are doing. If sustained full frontal nudity can be shown on a major UK national public broadcasting platform in prime time, then it makes our project (and our future plans!) more secure.  

As it happens, we have occasionally been approached about appearing on TV shows such as this.  In the end, we have declined all these opportunities as the shows have not offered us a serious platform to explain our mission, and I think the rowers (like me) feel quite strongly that their nudity has come specifically from wanting to make a serious point.  It's a problem that women have, of course, had to deal with for a very long time.  

Finally, let's chill!  My reading of the first two comments is that neither was intended to be negative.
Quote 1 0
PVogt
Thanks for the quick reply Angus. How interesting that you have been approached by shows such as Naked Attraction and that you were talking about it with Lucas recently! And I agree.... I don't think you would partner with a show like that since its worlds away from what you guys do.
:)
Quote 0 0
Amir
Hello Everyone, 

This is a very interesting question. There are many different outlooks and considerations that need to be looked at before answering. 

I personally feel that shows such as naked attraction have a very positive message. It allows people to see beauty as an essence, and celebrates it in all shapes and sizes. Furthermore, it helps take away the idea of how a person should look. We should all feel comfortable in our own bodies and just aim to be the best person that we can be, how that is, is fully individual and should not be compared against anyone or anything. 

However, the reason the rowers haven't participated in this is very simple. Our message is all about inclusivity and the breaking down of barriers within sport. We don't get naked for the sake of getting naked, we do it to show that although we feel very privileged to be in the positions that we are in, we are all equals, and we show it through taking all of our kit off. The concept is all about putting everyone on a level playing field, it is showing everyone that we are all in this together. 

So in conclusion, what I am trying to get across, is that we don't get naked because we think we look good (although we hope that you do), it is because we are trying to send a message. Therefore, doing a show such as naked attraction, as positive as it may be, does not help get our message across. 

Hope this helps clarify things a little, 

Lots of love, 

Amir B x
Quote 3 0
PVogt
Oh I agree Amir . I wasn’t suggesting that you rowers should consider the show because that’s not the purpose of your project. But you do feel it’s a positive show otherwise apparently , so that’s what I was wondering . Thanks for the reply!
Quote 0 0
PVogt
Well... let me reword ( or add ?) a different question to Amir and the boys. And this is my own curiosity and nothing else. . So.... if say, the WR project didn’t exist and you had never been naked in front of a camera crew before... how would you feel about a show like Naked Attraction? Would you want to or be willing to be on the show and be naked?
Quote 0 0
Amir
I cannot speak on behalf of the rest of the boys, but I personally wouldn't participate in shows like naked attraction. I am a strong believer in old fashioned romance and this show just bases compatibility on physical attraction. I also wouldn't go on shows like take me out for the opposite reason. I believe that it takes more for strong compatibility to present. 

Also, I am not that confident, I get naked for the calendar as it stands for something, otherwise I am usually quite a private person. 

From this, I would like to end with a question to you (and anyone else for that matter). As members of the WR community, what does our message mean to you? How do we personally affect you? 

Would be really nice to know different stories and perspectives!
Quote 1 0
PVogt
Thanks for your response Amir. I appreciate your honesty in that though Naked attraction is a positive for nudity that’s it’s not something you would do personally. And I find it interesting that in reality you’re not as confident as you’d like and that you’re private. I would have thought it would take tons of confidence to be naked for a calendar. However .. I suspect by doing this calendar that it HAS increased your confidence! As for your question to us , Obviously doing the shoot draws attention to the purpose of inclusiveness in sports and that we all have something of value to bring to the table.. even if we’re not particularly athletic but to whatever it is. As far as nudity I find it as ‘the great equalizer’. In my gym I find is fascinating to sit with other naked men say in the sauna. No clothes to suggest your wealth status or your career. I can be sitting there with a doctor, an accountant , a bar tender , or a truck driver .., and we’re all having a discussion about the worlds troubles or politics etc . That conversation would not occur outside the gym with the same group. Re WR though if you have something that you believe in and feel strongly about , and doing nude shots draws attention to that project and ultimately raises $$ for that project then Id say it was a success. It also serves as a great education tool for us!
Quote 0 0
Jarod
Amir wrote:

From this, I would like to end with a question to you (and anyone else for that matter). As members of the WR community, what does our message mean to you? How do we personally affect you?

I've mentioned this in other posts but I am someone who has experienced first-hand precisely what Sport Allies has been created to try to bring to an end. That Warwick Rowers has evolved from a small project with the aim of raising funds for the university rowing club, to an organisation with the aim of ending discrimination in sport and, by extension, society as a whole, means a great deal to me. Especially as Sport Allies was created by a group of young men who are not part of the demographic that they are trying to help. It's a shame that you have had to cease support of the rowing club in addition to Sport Allies.
I've been criticized for some of my 'angry' posts on this forum and accused of trying to stifle debate. When someone states that they are not happy with the changes that have been made in recent years (different locations, guests) and that they would prefer the calendar to have remained as it was in earlier years, in other words pre-Sport Allies, it indicates a lack of support for the Sport Allies cause. When those comments are made by a gay man, it smacks of self-interest and a lack of regard for other gay people.
Quote 0 1
John RW
Amir, Warwick Rowers message to me is that sport participation should be non-discriminatory in every way. Particularly team sport. So many gay friends stopped participating because they were afraid what would happen if team mates found out they were gay. Also I was happy to not only support Sport Allies but the rowing club because I felt it would allow students with less money to participate. I am also pleased that the calendar presents varying body types which shows that being fit and an athlete does not necessarily involve having abs or an absence of body hair. The fun you have together in the films as team mates is also attractive as I feel this emphasises the inclusiveness there can be in team sports for everyone.
Quote 2 0
Johannes Swagers

Hi Amir,
It is a great support for gay people that non-gay people speak out in favor of respectful relations between the two and advocate the message of inclusion. In this instance in team sports. Being gay means for me, that I have to come out of the closet again every time my (social) environment changes. I consider myself lucky, because I never had any traumatic experiences, but that does not mean it is not a hurdle I have to take every time again. Initiatives like Sport Allies are a great moral support and give the self confidence that it is okay to be open about it. Once I figured out what my orientation was, I was open about that to my family, my friends and even in the army, during the time I served there. Not all is perfect in the Netherlands, but in this respect, it is not a bad country to live in. I find the naked calendar on the wall very useful. It is visible for everybody (family, friends, maintenance people, delivery men) and nobody seems to take offence to the calendar. I think it helps that there is no frontal nudity in the pictures. My family does not mind that my nephews and nieces can see it as well. Sometimes it invokes a remark or non-verbal response and that is an excellent opportunity for me to do some explaining. When I say it is sold by a charity to campaign against homophobia in team sports, they often respond that they never thought about that before, because it does not affect their own lives. Almost always it is considered a worthy cause. When I add that Warwick Rowers is not a gay sports team, but that it wants to promote inclusion for all who like to participate in team sports, then it is praise all over for Warwick Rowers.It also gives them something to think about in their own situation. 
I have never been a fierce activist for the gay cause and I have never climbed the barricades for gay rights, but I will always take a stand against offensive behavior, discrimination and injustice. The calendar is just one of the things that helps me to bring the topic of homophobia to other people’s attention and gives me the opportunity to contribute to a bit of awareness and understanding on a small scale. Thank you all for the effort of making the calendar. Oh, and before I forget: I like most of the pictures too ðŸ˜ƒ

Quote 1 0
Lucas
Hi all, 

This is Lucas one of the boys. I will try to answer some of the questions raised above.

I do not see Naked Attraction (and other shows portraying nudity) as bad endeavours. If anything they break the taboo regarding nudity in public places and in the public's and they put female and male nudity on the same level. Which is really great as in most media, female nudity is always over exposed compared to make nudity and always presented in a different way. 

Regarding my participation, I do not believe this something I would do. I am not a big fan of TV shows and reality TV shows to begin with and wouldn't therefore put myself forward for it. And as Amir say, I only get naked for project related activities because there is a whole message behind it and we are raising funds for a cause close to my heart. I doubt you would have seen pictures of me naked otherwise. 

So to answer your question quickly: I do not see anything wrong with these shows, I think they serve a purpose but I wouldn't participate myself.

Cheers,

Lucas x
Quote 2 0

By posting on this forum you agree to our Forum Rules, Terms & Conditions as agreed at sign up.