Welcome to the Warwick Rowers Forum. Please note that customer support enquiries, for example regarding individual orders, should be submitted here

Pammy
Happy new year 2019 at all the WARWICK ROWERS, producers of it and their fans all around the Word, the Warwick's people sure dont can change the Word and homophoia, but can do best the life of gay people and women with their wonderful beauty and youngyest, when we see a warwickìs films we can watch the Word with a best thing.
Quote 1 0
Johannes Swagers

Thank you for the kind wishes. It is still 2018, but I guess it is never too early to send good wishes to fellow people.

To all fans of Warwick Rowers and especially to those who have a subscription to one or more WR products (and that includes you, Pammy) I wish much enjoyment from your purchases en following the WR project. I wish physical distribution can be brought up to an adequate level in 2019. This applies to the entire chain from labeling to packaging, tracking, actual dispatch and delivery. Especially in international shipment all chain members should be reliable and accountable, so that this annoyance belongs to the past forever. Similar story for e-mail notifications and downloads.

To the Warwick Rowers I wish a successful rowing season, fun and camaraderie with your fellow team members and sufficient academic progress in 2019. Stay inspired for raising public awareness for the fight against homophobia.

For the production team I hope you will get at least as much gratification in 2019 as before from this work and you will be able to continue the project in the most appealing way possible.  Let us wish it will also raise enough money to provide the Boat Club and Sport Allies with sufficient cash for both their activities.

For Sport Allies I wish that they will be able to share inspiring stories with us about successes achieved in the projects they funded.

To all I wish personal happiness and good health.

Quote 1 0
Angus_wr
Thank you for your good wishes, Johannes.  I wish the same to you!

I want to address a misunderstanding in your post.  We are no longer raising funds for the boat club at Warwick University.  This is the choice of Warwick University, who do not want the Warwick Rowers project to be associated with them or with the club.  I have spent a great deal of time and energy trying to find a solution that would enable a continued relationship with the boat club, but it has been specifically prohibited by the university, which has made it effectively impossible for both the club and me to continue any form of collaboration.  However, it means that profits now go to Sport Allies, and we have raised nearly £120,000 for the charity to date.

We have previously raised around £150,000 for the rowing programme at Warwick University, and the records show unequivocally how deeply ungrateful they have been for this support.  Never mind.  Some rowers have always been more supportive of the cause of challenging homophobia, and some have always been more interested in money for new boats.  Now, the project will rely on sportsmen whose primary concern is our campaigning work to challenge homophobia, promote better male mental health, greater gender equality and the work of Sport Allies.  

I've tried to make this clear in this forum, in our FAQs and through the media, but I can see that one of our many tasks for 2019 will be to make it clearer.
Quote 3 0
NickWigorn
Dear Angus,
Happy New Year and best wishes to you and all Warwick Rowers.
Thank you for the work of Sport Allies.  Long may it continue. That work is vital and you guys are amazing.
Best wishes,
Nick 👏💪👊😉
Quote 1 0
Angus_wr
Thank you, Nick! And thank you, Pammy!  Your support means a lot to us!!  All best wishes for 2019, and I hope we can be there for you throughout the year!!
Quote 0 0
catsva
Quote:
We are no longer raising funds for the boat club at Warwick University.

OK this year's shoot makes a lot of sense now. Perhaps it is time to decouple from the warwick rowers brand too and make it the sport allies calendar. It can feature guys from across universities, clubs, models, athletes etc. More of Alex and Seb kind of participation.
Quote 2 0
Angus_wr
That is pretty much exactly what we plan to do! We have plans in the pipeline to create a more inclusive campaign that will reflect the wide and diverse support for inclusion that we know exists in a whole range of sports. 

We will be bringing more information on future plans over the coming months, and we are taking on board the feedback that we get from a whole range of sources, including friendly organisations in the world of sport, our academic partners and of course our supporters. 

Watch this space! :-)

catsva wrote:

OK this year's shoot makes a lot of sense now. Perhaps it is time to decouple from the warwick rowers brand too and make it the sport allies calendar. It can feature guys from across universities, clubs, models, athletes etc. More of Alex and Seb kind of participation.
Quote 1 0
Jean
We do not always agree, but the different points of view make us think, reassure us, sometimes make us change our minds, scandalize us...  ;-)

Happy New Year to all the participants of this forum !
Quote 0 0
bonewiler
Happy New Year!
Angus, thank you for the update. I had sensed there were changes under foot but not sure to what extent other than an interview you had done (I can't remember with which media) touching on briefly some of the issues you have specifically mentioned in the forums here. I have noticed the onset of the explicit disclaimers as far as the relationship between the organization, the club, and the university, and the use of Sport Allies Onesies instead of the University Onesies but I didn't know the reasoning behind the changes. The interview I read was the first time I heard of conflicts with the University.

But as they say, when you let go of one thing, you open up room for something else. I can't wait to see what the year brings. As the best to you and rest of the team as you navigate these new waters. Cheers!
Quote 0 0
Boen_TJ
Happy New Year🍾 and all the best to the whole team on WR/SA, loved all the work you've done👌.
Quote 0 0
Amir
Happy New Year Everyone, 

2018 has been a really eye opening year for me, thank you guys for providing so much feedback and honesty as it will really help myself, as a person, and the project in continuing forward to make a change! Thank you for all your support, onwards and upwards with 2019!
Quote 1 0
RJohns81
Angus_wr wrote:
Thank you for your good wishes, Johannes.  I wish the same to you!

I want to address a misunderstanding in your post.  We are no longer raising funds for the boat club at Warwick University.  This is the choice of Warwick University, who do not want the Warwick Rowers project to be associated with them or with the club.  I have spent a great deal of time and energy trying to find a solution that would enable a continued relationship with the boat club, but it has been specifically prohibited by the university, which has made it effectively impossible for both the club and me to continue any form of collaboration.  However, it means that profits now go to Sport Allies, and we have raised nearly £120,000 for the charity to date.

We have previously raised around £150,000 for the rowing programme at Warwick University, and the records show unequivocally how deeply ungrateful they have been for this support.  Never mind.  Some rowers have always been more supportive of the cause of challenging homophobia, and some have always been more interested in money for new boats.  Now, the project will rely on sportsmen whose primary concern is our campaigning work to challenge homophobia, promote better male mental health, greater gender equality and the work of Sport Allies.  

I've tried to make this clear in this forum, in our FAQs and through the media, but I can see that one of our many tasks for 2019 will be to make it clearer.

Angus,

Thanks for clarifying this for us.  I was not aware of these developments at all, and to be honest I thought a portion of my contributions were still helping support the boat club with the purchase of new equipment, etc.  This news makes me sad and depressed, although I am glad to continue supporting Sport Allies.  I assume the fund raising took on a life of its own and somehow ran afoul of university rules for such activities. Does the boat club have other fund raising mechanisms now that we might contribute to? 
Quote 1 0
Jarod
I may be wrong but my first thought was that someone at the university didn't like the development of the nudity to include full-frontal images and didn't want the university or the rowing team 'tainted' by an association with the products that included such images. Attitudes to nudity are changing but some still view the naked human body as offensive and those who allow others to see them naked as morally lacking. Whilst nothing could be further from the truth, there are those whose views have been instilled in them so deeply that they will never change.
Quote 0 0
Angus_wr
It is hard to know the reasoning of the university. Their public statements and what they have told students in private appear to be entirely contradictory.  The Vice Chancellor claimed in an email to me in January 2017 that infringement of intellectual property was his only concern, and on this basis demanded our closure under threat of legal action.  This was a groundless charge and frankly nothing more than bullying, as our lawyers quickly showed.  

They have not really come up with a better reason since.  However, the same man specified “this kind of nudity” as the problem in an off the record meeting with leaders of the boat club. Draw your own conclusions...

The university has refused subsequent requests for clarification of their reasoning under our Freedom of Information legislation.  This is now the subject of a legal challenge.

Meanwhile, all attempts to find a way to support their rowing rogramme have failed, so all of us working on the calendar have refocused as a team (rowers and production team) on supporting Sport Allies.  

The university offered all of us, including our lawyers, assurances that other funding streams were in the pipeline to sustain the club, specifically with a charitable trust to be chaired by a former Chancellor of the university. When I met with the Chancellor in question many months later to discuss the situation, he had not heard of this plan.  

So I am unable to clarify how the club can be supported, but I am given to understand that the current club president, following meetings with the university, has prohibited members of the boat club from taking part in the calendar project.  

For me, this is both tragic and exasperating, and it very much marks the end for those of us who have fought the university for nearly three years to ensure continuing support for the club. We feel we have done everything we can, and that we can no longer devote time or resources to pursuing the interests of UWBC.  I have discussed this with senior figures in rowing, including an Olympic alumnus of Warwick University, and all agree that the club no longer deserves our support. 

The club is definitely in a difficult position.  They accepted the universty’s assurances of alternative funding which encouraged them to abandon the calendar - their key source of funding that had given £150,000 to the club in cash support.  The club is now entirely reliant on the universty’s good will, which is unfortunate; it is widely perceived that Warwick University does not see the value in its rowing Programme that other, similar-ranking universities do.  

Quote 1 0
bejjinks
Maybe the rowing club could break free of the university. I know that has it's own challenges but maybe.
Quote 1 0

By posting on this forum you agree to our Forum Rules, Terms & Conditions as agreed at sign up.